Sunday, August 5, 2007

a new day

my mother used to say this in the morning before she would leave the house. when she died suddenly at 55 years old it started to have a new, more profound meaning. life is but a vapor that appeareth for a little time and vanisheth away.

This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as he wills; I can waste it or use it for good. What I do today is important, because I’m exchanging a day of my life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever, leaving something I have traded for it. I want it to be gain, not loss; good, not evil; success, not failure; in order that I shall not regret the price I paid for it.

2 comments:

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Great post! An important exhortation to not waste our life but rather live each day on purpose for the glory of God.

David S Baker said...

thankx brother, such an easy thing to forget isn't it? makes for a good morning prayer, God let me use this day for you how you see fit. i tend to assume ill live here on earth forever and when that happens i get nothing done for God; because then there is always tomorrow....